December 4, 2020, Friday 10:00-16:30
Mehmed Fuad Köprülü has written dozens of works from different disciplines such as literature, history, politics, law, economics, and religion and has done many studies throughout his life. He is one of the founders name of Turcology and writing history of literature in Turkey. We commemorate M. Fuad Köprülü on the 130th anniversary of his birth as the Department of Turkish Language and Literature at Samsun University on Friday, December 4, 2020, with the program titled “From Usul to Method: The Literature Historiography of M. Fuad Köprülü”. The program, which will take place on the online meeting platform Zoom, will start with the opening speech of Selim Sırrı Kuru and will continue with three different panels.
The program firstly aims to criticise the new usul (method) proposed by Köprülü concerning historiography of Turkish Literature, in connection with the twentieth-century scientific method design, focusing on the article “Method in the History of Turkish Literature”. While focusing on different periods and problems of Turkish Literature, the extent to which Köprülü can continue this method constitutes the second part of the program. Finally, in the program, it is aimed to discuss the current problems of the history of literature writing, the possibilities and limitations of the method in understanding and explaining literary works, and how to understand what Köprülü says about the history of the literature today . Through this program, we wish to commemorate Köprülü on the 130th anniversary of his birth and, on the other hand, to discuss the current issues and problems of the history of Turkish Literature and history of literary writing on the occasion of Köprülü.
The program is free and open to everyone, no reservation is required. It is supported by the Samsun University Centre of Art and Thought.
For more information: [email protected]
The Opening Speech, 10:00-10:20 (Zoom link)
• Selim Sırrı Kuru: Bringing Literature to System: As Köprülü’s First Coup in Turkish Literature “Method in the History of Turkish Literature”.
1th Panel, 10:30-12:00 (Zoom link)
Moderator: Selim Sırrı Kuru
• Şaban Sağlık: In the Context of Köprülü’s Article of Method “Opening the Determined Semantic Codes for Discussion”
• Halim Kara: From Ottoman Empire to the Republic : Formation of Modern History of Literature in Turkey
• Günil Özlem Ayaydın Cebe: Method or Nation in the History of Literature
12:00-13:00 Lunch Break
2nd Panel, 13:00-14:30 (Zoom link)
Moderator: Şaban Sağlık
• Fatih Altuğ: Evolution in the Article of “Method in the History of Turkish Literature”
• Alphan Akgül: From Stability to Action: Why does Constituent Literature Needs Historical Construction?
• Atiye Gülfer Gündoğdu: Literary Historiography and the Problem of Reception in Köprülü and Jauss
• Mustafa Uğur Karadeniz: An Answer to M. Fuad Köprülü’s Criticism on Classical Literary Aesthetichs
3rd Panel, 15:00-16:30 (Zoom link)
Moderator: Günil Özlem Ayaydın Cebe
• Emrah Pelvanoğlu: Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar and the Historical Imagination in the XIX. Century History of Turkish Literature
• Mustafa Altuğ Yayla: A Köprülü Heritage?: The Problem of “Foreign” Influences in the Islamic Literary Culture of Diyâr-ı Rûm
• Kaan Kurt: The Place of Intertextuality in Köprülü’s Literary Historiography
• Servet Gündoğdu: The Case of Vagueness in Köprülü’s Literary Topos: History and Interpretation